Gobble gobble! With only three days until Thanksgiving, Ryan Seacrest is offering up two of his family’s go-to holiday recipes: Connie Seacrest’s green bean casserole and HankPa’s sweet potato pie!
Ryan made both recipes on Live! With Kelly and Ryan and enlisted the help of his mom and sister Meredith Seacrest.
To make HankPa’s pie and Connie’s tasty green beans, follow both recipes below. Happy Thanksgiving!
1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes
4 tablespoons butter
½ cup light brown sugar
½ cup sugar
¾ cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
One unbaked pie crust
• Preheat oven 350 degrees.
• On a sheet pan bake sweet potatoes one hour or until soft.
• Allow the butter to soften at room temperature while potatoes bake
• In a bowl add milk, eggs, and spices, stir and set aside In a 9 inch pie plate crimp dough and prick the bottom with a fork about 8 times. Allow to rest in the refrigerator until ready to fill
• When potatoes are done allow to cool slightly until they can be peeled safely
• In a mixer bowl, add warm sweet potatoes, soften butter and sugars and turn mixer on medium to mash the potatoes, then add the milk and egg mixture and continue mixing until smooth, then pour in chilled pie crust
• Place pie on the lower rack of a 350 degree preheated oven and bake 1 hour or until set
• Once cooled store in refrigerator so pie will set up
8oz. canned of sliced mushrooms
1/2 C. chopped onion
1- 5oz. can sliced water chestnuts-drained
3/4 C. butter melted
1/3 C. flour
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 C. milk
2 C. cheddar cheese shredded
2 tsp. soy sauce
1/8 tsp. tabasco sauce
2 pounds frozen French cut green beans
14oz can french fried onions
Drain mushrooms, Reserve liquid.
Saute onion, mushrooms and water chestnuts in 1/2 c. butter.
Melt remaining butter for cheese sauce then whisk in flour, salt & pepper, gradually add milk & 1/2c. of mushroom liquid. Stir until smooth then add cheese, soy sauce & tabasco.
Partially cook beans.
Place alternate layers of bean, veggies, and cheese sauce in baking dish
Bake at 350 for 15 min,remove sprinkle with onions & bake 10 min. longer